Waiting around

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Metro faux pas

So I did it. I did the thing that annoys every single Metro rider.

I was on the down escalator in the Rosslyn Metro this morning and as I stepped off the final step of the escalator, I saw it. The train had just arrived. Now I know that at 8:40, there is another train right behind this one, and usually I simply stroll to the train, knowing I will probably miss that train.

This morning was different. I was running a few minutes ahead of schedule, which actually makes this even more of a curious situation. As the train came into view on my descent on the escalator, the doors of the train just opened and I knew I wanted to get on the train. I started the half walk half run that has been done by every single Metro rider in an attempt to make a train, but my tired self would only allow me to move so fast.

I was getting closer and closer to the train and my goal was getting more and more in sight: I was going to make this train! As I approach the doors they remain open and I gently step on the train hearing the voice "Please step back the doors are closing." I did it. I made the train. Pleased with myself, I begin wondering if I have stepped enough on the train so that my messenger bag has made it on the train as well. The doors begin closing and WHAM. They close between my body and my bag.

I helplessly stand there caught between what I feel like are the jaws of life. The doors have closed about 2/3 of the way, but my bag has stopped them from closing the rest of the way. I next wonder if the train operator recognizes this, and if he hasn't, is there enough space between the wall of the tube and the train that it won't really matter. No, I didn't think about trying to reopen the doors.

Luckily the guy next to me thought about that. After a nice slam to the door, the doors reopen, and I am freed from the grip of the door. And then I hear it. The bell and the voice saying "Please step back, the doors are closing" go off for the 2nd time. And I was the cause of the 2nd time. I always laughed at those people. The one's who have caused all of the doors to the train to reopen. While laughing, I also always got a little annoyed by those people. Can't they make the train like the next one?

So for those of you who may have been on the Orange Line this morning at Rosslyn at around 8:40, I apologize for the pain I may have caused. I know that pain, and for it, I am deeply sorry.

still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • LOL! Wait, how you always manage to bring a smile to my face, I will never know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home