Waiting around

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Germany, pt 2 of 2 (the last) and more

Yes I realized I haven't continued the stories from Germany. This is for 2 reasons. 1. My computer is going out. The screen turns all these bright colors and makes these really cool designs. Unfortunately for me, that means I can't use it. It has become very fickle and sometimes it even decides to drop the resolution down to something like 300x100. That's exciting when I could probably read the screen from across the street.

I also realized it would probably be pretty boring to hear about every aspect of my trip, and while it would be lots of fun for me, you'd be bored to tears. So tonight, while the computer is working, I will tell about the 2 mosst exciting things I did in Germany and that will be it. I will then move on to much more pointless matters, like what color my new couch is, and when things are all going to be set up in my new condo, not to mention all about the new condo.

On the second to last full day in Germany, I got to visit the city of Berlin, a city I have learned much about in history classes and German classes. It was partly weird, because the fall of the Berlin wall was one of my first memories where I recognized that there is a much bigger world out there, and that this "thing" that is happening is something that is huge. It wouldn't be until many years later that I would understand the true significance, but I knew it was important. Although I only had about 3 hours in Berlin to see the sites (not nearly enough time), it was definitely worth it. I got to see the major sites like the Reichstag, Brandenburger Tur, Segasaeule, and Checkpoint Charlie. I went through the museum at Checkpoint Charlie, and that was pretty awesome to see all of the different ways people attempted to cross the border. I also went into the museum "Story of Berlin" which showed a little of the distant history of the city, but then a lot more of the more recent history, with the rise of Nazism and Hitler, then through the Cold War and finally the fall of the Berlin wall. It was a truly eye-opening experience, especially going through the museums with Germans who actually lived during the Cold War. It was interesting to see those people walk a little bit faster through the Wars, but then when the video of the fall came on, they sat and watched it twice. You could tell it was something that they were really proud of.

The other hilight of the trip was driving on the German Autobahn. I got to drive my cousins BMW M3 on the autobahn, and while it was my second time ever driving stick, that didn't stop me from hitting about 140 MPH, and then driving over a "mountain" (read small hill with a couple switchbacks) doing the switchbacks at about 40mph, hugging the road like no other car I have been in. I also learned about rev matching (I think thats what it's called) ie: taking the car up to about 7000 RPMs, shifting down then, and back to 7000 RPM, etc etc. Too much fun. The world looked like it was streaking by. The car is so freaking fast, going from 0-60 faster than the 911. Worlds apart from the Toyota Avalon I drive.

So those were the 2 bigger events of Germany -- there was lots of other assorted things that went on - visiting the towns from which my ancestors hailed and finding the gravestones of some of very distant relatives (ca. 1700) and also getting the oppurtunity to just relax and not worry about anything.

That vacation was the first that I have had in a long time where I didn't need to worry about anything. I'm obviously not applying to schools, so I don't need to worry about that. All I have to do is make sure everything is straightened out for my new condo, and that's nothing to truly worry about. So this might have been one of the best vacations I've been on in a long time. I was definitely able to shift it into park, and recharge the batteries and gear up to start school out on the right foot.

So that's that about Germany. No longer will you be bored with my antics (about Germany, at least).

I start school 2 weeks from tomorrow. Yikes. (what was that about not worrying?) Soon I will start laboring you with all of the details of that. That was the initial intention of this blog when I started it about a year ago, so that you could see how much of a pain med school, yet also see how worth it is; though let's be honest, you might need to keep reading for about 12 years before you see the latter.

That's it for now.

still waiting,
-wait

2 Comments:

  • The Autobahn sounds great! I don't think I'd be courageous enough to drive that fast, though!

    Lots of luck with med school coming up fast!

    By Blogger MustangSally, at 8:40 PM  

  • Until a couple months ago, I thought that I had roots in Germany on my father's side. But then my parents came to visit me in Tianjin and my mother informed me that no, both sides of my family come from Switzerland. I know nothing of my ancestral homeland, however. Perhaps one day I need to plan a trip of my own.

    By Blogger pH, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home