Waiting around

Monday, July 10, 2006

Ocean City and Poison Ivy

I just had a really long weekend. Like really long. But for the most part it was a ton of fun.

I left Richmond at around 430/5 on Friday evening heading north east to Ocean City MD. My friend Mike is getting married this coming Saturday, so for his bachelor party we headed up to the best city in America, Ocean City, HON! I rolled in around 1015 Friday night and joined the crew who had been drinking for awhile (they got there around 3). We hung out for awhile on the balcony and looked down (we were on the 4th floor) and saw a pool at the condo place next to ours. We thought it would be a brilliant idea to go swimming in that pool, after hopping the fence, of course. So 2 of the guys and I went over to that building, dropped down from the 3rd floor on the deck of the pool (which was on the 2nd floor). We took a quick dip, and ran back across the street to our place. There were a few more details involved, but I don't want to bore you with everything (and I need to save face, let's be honest).

We spent Saturday on the beach, playing cards, and then I spent a couple hours in the water (which was freezing) riding the waves in. Unfortunately we had 1 boogey board for 9 people. So there was lots of body surfing. After about 2 hours, the waves were getting pretty big (around 6 feet) and by now there were only 2 of us left out there. (He had the board). The guard then starts whistling. I don't look back because I wasn't that far out (had been out farther) but when he didn't stop, I looked back and he started waving. I turned back around thinking it wasn't me, but the whistle came back and I realized he was probably whistling me in, so I rode one more wave in and got in. I was starting to get cold, so really it was ok. I took one really hard spill, where I got dropped by a wave and landed on my elbow, which threw out my shoulder for a second. I actually needed to sit out for about 10 minutes while I got range of motion back.

Saturday night we got all you can eat crabs. As a Marylander, I represented. I taught a few of the people, and did my fair share on accumulating the carnage. I am not sure how many I went through, but they brought about 4 trays over, and each tray had about 2 dozen crabs on it. There were 4 of us eating, so I didn't actually eat 100... but there were a lot. My proudest moment might have been that I wore a completely white shirt, and ended up with nothing on me. No stains, nothing. And if you know both me and about eating crabs like Marylanders do, you will know that that is quite the accomplishment. We went back to the condo/hotel and hung out there the rest of the night, falling asleep around 3/4.

I wake up the next morning at around 9 and start driving towards Baltimore. Around 1230, I pull into my parent's house, and break out the hedge-cutters to start cutting our hedge. This may sound like not much, but let me set this up for you. I begin by dressing up in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, tall socks, tennis shoes and gloves. Yes, even though it is 90 degrees. I then hook together about 4 100 foot extensions cords end to end and string them out to the hedge. When the hedge is cut, the shortest area is about 4 feet tall, and the tallest is around 7 feet. That of course means I need to break out the ladder. It is probably around 200 feet, then goes around a corner, and then goes another 100 feet further. So we are talking around 300 feet of hedge. Keep in mind that I need to cut the sides of this as well as the top.

And then the fun part. For about a 150 foot stretch of the hedge (yes, about 1/2) the hedge is laced, nay 1/2 full of poison ivy. So essentially when my parents say "Hey Wait, it's time to cut the hedge," what I hear is "Hey Wait, it's time to get a real nasty case of poison ivy." I mean it's fun and all... but ok, it's not at all. So I spent about an hour and half working on the hedge, then came in, watched the world cup, then spent the next 2.5 hours finishing the hedge. It was a freaking blast. Let me tell you.

I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, the fact that I cut my weekend short in Ocean City, or while I was out there cutting the hedge, my mom comes out and just sits there and watches me, and tells me I need to cut it in a different way that was safer. I told her that if she wanted it done a certain way, that she could do it herself. She went back in the house after that. After dinner with my parents, I hit the road to Richmond, and finally at around 1:30AM I pulled into Richmond and climbed into bed and it felt amazing. So there's my weekend... kind of a "this then this then this" but sometimes that the way it needs to be. Plus I'm tired and don't feel like being too witty and just wanted to relay what I've been doing.

I also have a story about my getting called for jury duty, but I'm tired and don't feel like writing much more.

Still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • You are killing me with talk about the steamed crabs! Having been away from "home" for the last 12 years I miss sitting in stinky crab houses knocking back on a bottle of beer while getting crabs cuts all over my hands. Damned Midwest....

    By Blogger Daisy Mae, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home