Waiting around

Monday, June 26, 2006

Long time...

Not even sure where to begin. It's been about 12 days since I posted last and lots has happened. But nothing too terribly exciting.

I think when I left I had just described my financial crisis and I would like to say that everything has straightened out. My bank (M&T) has been great to me. They cancelled all of my numbers, and by Monday afternoon, all of the money that had been stolen was back in my account. I had a new card by the end of the week and while that was an inconvenience, I really can't complain. When I talked to my bank, they informed me that someone had attempted to use my card on Monday morning for charges of $250 and $15; luckily I had cancelled the card, and the charges were declined.

I have been looking for places to live constantly, and I won't bore you with all the details until I finally secure a place, and then you all can come visit me (most likely in Northern Virginia).

I went home this weekend - it was my sister's birthday and since Father' day was last Sunday going up there this weekend had a double meaning. Since my mom's mother's day present was the medical school acceptance, I knew there was no way I could top that for Father's day. So I ended up giving him a card that says "I love you Grandpa..." and on the inside I wrote something to the effect of "I knew I couldn't top mom's mother's day gift, but I thought this could come close. Just kidding!" So hopefully he got some sort of a scare.

We had an eventful dinner on Friday night - if anyone remembers the Will Ferrell sketch "Yelling at Dinner" you might have an idea. I couldn't help by laugh at myself as I clinked my silverware on the plate. My parents and sister were probably wondering why I was laughing and luckily I am the only one who knew why.

It also rained all weekend. I wanted to go and play a little golf, but the weather dictated otherwise (yeah, I could have gone out in the rain, but I am not that hardcore yet).

I drove home from dinner last night and the rain was coming down hard. It was really hard to see and blah blah it was a quiet ride home as I attempted to guide the family cruiser down the dark, windy road, nay river, from where we ate. We all made it home thanks to my incredible driving skills. We got home and for some reason my sister went to the basement (she wanted to play monopoly or something) and found out that our basement was taking on water. My dad and I went down to check it out, and at that point it had just started and the water wasn't deep; however about an hour later it was over my ankle. Apparently both of our sump pumps stopped working and that means we get standing water in our basement. Which is cool and all. I attempted to use our shop vac and a hose to start sucking water out of the basement, but I couldn't get a strong enough pull on the hose to suck up water. So the water just sat there. Luckily it stopped raining around midnight and the water mysteriously drained from out basement overnight. We aren't 100% sure where the water went.

On an unrelated note, our foundation probably has some cracks in it.

I made it back to Richmond this morning in a record 3 hours and 15 minutes. People completely flip out when it starts raining (and I think there was some sort of mudslide over 495. That probably slowed us down some).

School is slowly creeping up towards us - we are a little under 2 months away. Most everything has been straightened out - I just need to finalize where I am living and what furniture I need. (Basically everything). I was looking at SDN (www.studentdoctor.com - an online message board for premeds) and saw a bunch of the threads for secondary applications as this application cycle is gearing up. I find it hard to believe that I don't actually need to be doing that this year. I mean no offense to those who are; it is simply weird to me that over the last 3 summers, I have been filling these out, sending checks, and getting everything straightened out for my application to med school. And this summer, that is one thing I don't need to worry about. Weird.

Alright, well there's an update. I'll try and keep you posted more regularly.

still waiting (for another update),
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home