Waiting around

Saturday, April 29, 2006

2 times the fun

To begin, I have not posted in over a week and a half now. Why you may ask?? Well because I am lazy, and probably the more reasonable reason being that I have been going out a lot more in the recent weeks and when I get home its too late to make a post since all I want to do is go to sleep.

Another reason is that I have not posted is because I have not heard anything from medical schools in a while. So, the question is, why I am posting today? Is it because I finally have a minute or 2 to myself and wanted to share it with you all? Or is it because I finally heard something from a medical school? The title doesn't help you either because obviously I have been having some fun, but at the same time it could be a sarcastic referring to the fact that I have heard rejections from 2 medical schools.

The impetus for the post is the latter reason (while both are true). Way back in the fall I was notified by Albany that I was in the "Hold" category and on April 25th, my status "has been changed to 'no interview' " (directly from the letter). I also recieved a letter from Temple University saying that my application has been withdrawn from further consideration considering that they received over 8400 applications for 180 spots.

The first school I can kind of understand - I have no real tie to the state of NY. I am not even sure if I would want to be in Albany NY for a few years. I really don't know much about the school. The second one I do not understand completely. And for that matter, I just don't understand this process as a whole... I was interviewed at EVMS, Temple, NYMC and Maryland last year. Not one of those schools has offered me an interview this year and while 2 of them have not officially rejected me (NYMC and MD), I am pretty confident that I will not be receiving an interview. So I guess I just do not understand how this all works. Last year I was good enough for these places (MD is a top 25 school I think... and schools like NYMC, Temple and EVMS are not in the same strata) but this year I am not even though I did complete my Master's and have gotten clinical experience which admittedly is (was?) my weakest area of my application.

Instead of dwelling on the past, however, I definitely need to continue looking to the future and the prospects that are still in front of me. First and foremost, it has now been 5 and a half weeks since I interviewed at Penn State and during the interview, they indicated that it normally takes 6-8 weeks to hear a decision, however due to the time of year it may be a little bit sooner (ie: any day now). I also am waiting patiently on the waitlists at both GW and WVU, where May 15 is a very important date with waitlists. I just did a quick check on whether or not I have said why May 15 is an important date and I don't think I have so... May 15 is important because it is the date that everyone who has been accepted to medical school can hold a seat at only one medical school. So for those who are very smart and have been accepted to multiple schools (ie: not me) they have to tell all but one school "no" by this date. Therefore, there are a lot of schools that get said no to and thus spots open up for those of us holding out on waitlists.

So being that tomorrow is the end of April, I should be hearing some things in May and it could be a pretty big month (either way) Or it could be that I will just wait away another month, especially if Penn State sticks me on their waitlist, which is what I expect.

I will try and post a little more frequently. I know all 3 of you reading this have missed my wittiness.

still waiting,
-wait

4 Comments:

  • I did kind of wonder where you went, but it was funny to see "Butt pain with foreplay" at the top of the page every time I checked in.

    Lots of luck for the month of May!

    By Blogger MustangSally, at 10:09 PM  

  • Let's go, May 15th....remember that was the magic date for me, too. I heard I got off the waitlist of UTHSCSA the next day (a Sunday.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 PM  

  • Thanks for the luck wishes guys. I just realized that I can respond to comments by posting a comment. I'm not sure if that's correct blog ettiquette, but who cares.

    Here's to a good (ok, great) May!

    By Blogger wait, at 11:39 PM  

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home