Waiting around

Friday, March 31, 2006

GW Update

So this afternoon I walked into my house to see a large envelope from the George Washington University School of Medicine. Although I pretty much knew that it was coming through other sources, the thoughts of my acceptance ran through my head. The letter I received was a page and a half from the Dean of Admissions at GW aprising the alternates of their situation. It was very well worded and thorough and it definetely explained a lot of what was going on and how they were going to be acting from this point forward.

The first part of the letter said that they are very impressed by my credentials, my passion for medicine and my sincere interest in the MD Program at GW. The letter also said that at this time, I am in a group that is at the top of the alternate pool; however it was also made clear that the alternate pool is very fluid and organic. They also stress that there is no way to say if people are going to actually be accepted off of the waitlist. So being at the top of the alternate list is probably a pretty good thing. I don't know, I'm just guessing......

They also included in this letter some financial aid information, allowing for a budget of $62,800 for the first year. This is how it all breaks down: $42,481 tuition. $360 in University Fees, $915 for books and supplies, $1,149 for Instruments, $2,210 for Health Insurance, $700 for travel home, and $14,625 for living expenses, which is subdivided (monthly) into $900 for rent and utilities, $280 for food and household expenses, $265 for personal expenses and $180 for local transportation. So that's a lot of money. So we're talking close to a couple hundred thousand dollars in debt in a few years, which is REALLY exciting. Because of that, I really haven't been concerned with saving money this year.

I am also "running" the Monument Avenue 10k this Saturday morning. Now this isn't to say that I haven't been running, becuase I have been running off and on throughout the winter, though there has probably been more off than on. This will be my 5th year in a row running this race and it will probably be my worst time. In 2002 I ran it in 47:28, 2003 in 49:49, 2004 in 55:45 and last year I ran it in 56:01. So obviously there has been a downward trend in my running times, and I anticipate that trend to continue this year. Maybe I will to at least try to beat last years time since last year I didn't do ANY running to prep for the race and while I am at, I should try and beat my 2004 time as well since that is only 16 seconds off. I really do plan on making more of a regimented schedule to start running in part to lower race times, but also just to lead a healthier lifestyle. I don't feel that I have been treating my body greatly and if I want to be a doctor, I feel the need to be healthy myself. Long story short, I am trying to eat healthier and just try and live a healthier lifestyle. That was a random aside.

So they say that it is 2 nights before a race that truly matters, so I am going to sleep now so I can get a good 6.5 hours in (like that's a really good night's sleep).

still waiting,
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home