Waiting around

Thursday, March 23, 2006

PSU Interview (and Tufts)

Well for those 2 of you who were anxiously waiting my take on PSU, here you have it. I must warn you that I am very tired (still) as yesterday was a very long day for me (6:30-midnight) and then I was up at 7 for work today.

The hotel I stayed at in Hershey was pretty sweet -- I got a chocolate bar as I checked in, and the whole place smelled like chocolate. They had a fireplace in the center of the lobby with leather chairs around it. I decided this was a pretty decent place to stick my feet up and read about PSU.

As for the interview - the day started at 830 with a welcome by the dean of admissions and I had 2 interviews right off the bat, one at 9AM and then one at 1030. The 9 o'clock interview went pretty well I think; he and I clicked pretty decently on how we both stand on the medical profession (the desire to raise a family in addition to practicing medicine). It went on for about 45 minutes until his secretary knocked on the door asking if we were about to finish up, so that is pretty good, I think. The conversation wasn't forced and it seemed pretty natural. It was a little weird in that he went through each one of the activities on my application and asked me to elaborate on them. (ie: So you were an RA. Explain that. So you presented research in New Orleans. Explain that. etc etc etc.) It wasn't that hard because I was simply talking about myself, and talking about yourself is always kind of fun.

The second interview also went pretty well. I talked about what I am doing right now – obviously the ob/gyn office and the free clinic and how I notice the differences between the "have's" and "have-not's". The way it was worded begged the question of what I can do about that, and ultimately my stance on universal healthcare. He seemed to like my answer and we talked about some more of the weaknesses of my application and if I really believe I can cut it in medical school (I said yes, as demonstrated by my completion of Georgetown). At 11 he said that we needed to break this up because I had another meeting to go to at 11, but that he would walk me down there so that I could ask him any questions. That was actually pretty weird (good weird) because it is generally the secretaries who were walking the interviewers around.

So then we got the whole spiel of the school – essentially why we should choose PSU if accepted to the school. At this point, my interviews were actually over, so the adrenaline was way down and it was a little hard for me to pay complete attention, though I believe I did a good job of at least feigning it seeing as I was in the front. After this hour long discussion (which included financial aid info… the school is 40k/year for out of state people) we ate lunch with some 1 st /2nd /3rd /4th year students which was cool to get their take on everything they thought about the school. The day finished up with a tour of the medical school and the hospital – insofar as seeing some hallways because apparently we aren't allowed to see patients on tours which is the first I have heard about that… Who knows.

Overall I think I did like the school – It's hard for me to rank as beggars can't be choosers as they say. I am going to leave out personal preferences for right now -- as I just said, beggars can't be choosers, and I would be totally humbled at the oppurtunity to study medicine anywhere.

My day continued by my driving to ChocolateWorld (after all, I was in Hershey PA) and I bought some chocolate and then I was off to the Outlets to see if any stores were having ridiculous sales -- Tommy Hilifiger was so I got a pair of jeans for $19 (normally they sell for $70). I then stopped for dinner with Shina - we ate a place where it was "Steal the Glass night" and coincidentally that was my second "Steal the Glass night" in a row although it was not advertised at the place I ate at in Hershey -- rather I really liked the glass and I had my hoody on with the large pocket in front. (Gini came up to Hershey to see me in Hershey and we had dinner together at one of 4 restaurants in my hotel).

I eventually made it home around 1130 last night and I checked the mail to see what I had gotten over the 2 days that I was gone. I received a letter from Tufts where they cut to the chase by saying "Dear Waitman - I regret I cannot offer you a place in the class of 2010 at Tufts." They then went on for a couple paragraphs saying they had so many applicants and yadda yadda yadda I am not good enough for an interview at Tufts. It' was a little weird coming home from an interview to see a rejection from a different school. That is the way this process goes.

Once I partially processed this rejection I went back to my car and got all of my stuff literally just threw it in my room, climbed into bed and fell asleep. I am pretty sure last night was one of those nights where I climbed into bed and fell asleep within 10 seconds.

So it was a long pretty long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home