Waiting around

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Let's Make a Deal

NBC did the trick with its advertising - I am watching "Deal or No Deal" right now. This seems like a pretty cool show - I feel like it is all luck of the draw, although I am sure there is some mathematical explanation as to whether or not you should choose a certain suitcase. I say this because in "Let's Make a Deal" there is a mathematical explanation to what you should do. If you don't remember - there are 3 doors and the person is supposed to choose one of the 3 doors, effectively having a 33% chance of picking the right door. Monty Hall, the host, then gets rid of one of the 2 remaining doors, and asks if you want to have the other door (the one the participant did not take). You are "supposed" to switch from the one you chose because there is a better probability of it being the door with the incredible thing behind it. This doesn't make intuitive sense, I know. I struggled with this for awhile (Why the heck would it matter if you switched or not?) But in reality, they found that those who switched won 2/3 of the time, while those who did not switch won 1/3 of the time. Here's an explanation. If you want to try this for yourself, check out this website. It keeps track of whether or not you switched, and your W/L record. This phenomenom has been labeled the "Monty Hall Paradox" in honor of the host.

Wrap your head around that. Gotta love cognitive psychology.

Thanks to Greg (his blog) I have become addicted to a game called Shadow President. (Click that if you want it. Sorry, it's only for PC's and I don't think they plan on making it for mac's) It's one set in 1990 (it was made in 1992) and you are the president of the US and you get to call the shots. Of course the first thing I did was nuke Ethiopia because it just beat Somalia in a war. Being the most powerful country in the world means you can hit people when they think they are on top of the world. "Oh, you think you are so good because you beat a country? Well here's something to think about: 2,317 nuclear bombs. Say it... Say it... That's right, you're my biotch"

If you have seen "The Shining" you will find this preview to be pretty funny. You need sound capabilities to make it worth it. Thanks to Mike for that (his blog).

I emailed the dean of GW the other day, and she responded with an email that definetely isn't bad, but at the same time didn't offer me an acceptance. (Like I was actually expecting that). She said I am doing the right thing by staying in touch and all of the people on the alternate list will be hearing something general at the end of the month. That's basically all I want to say about that since this is a public place.

So that's all I got for right now. Today starts Lent, so I need to give something up. I have given up lots of things in the past (and by lots, I mean LOTS). Maybe this year, I won't give something up, but I will start doing something that will better me as a person. Ideas on what I should do for Lent are welcome.

still waiting,
-wait

2 Comments:

  • you should totally take up medical school

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 AM  

  • giving something up for Lent has become a tradition--but why do we do it? when we give that thing up, what are we doing with the time we would have been doing that thing? food for thought...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home