Waiting around

Friday, February 03, 2006

Lost, Scrubs and State of the Union

I'm posting again, which means no news from WVU. I know a few of you are really awaiting this decision and really pulling for me, so I just wanted to send out a general 'thank you.' And the waiting is killing you, just think what about it's doing to me :-p .

Also, I have really been a slacker with responding to emails lately. So if you have emailed me, I have gotten it, I just haven't felt too much like responding. I am not really sure why, but that's what's going on. So sorry if you have emailed and I haven't responded. I will try and get around to emailing you.

Anyways, 2 stories I can tell.

1. We (Ian Mike and I) had a problem with our rent checks in January, and since yesterday was the first I wanted to make sure our landlord got our money on time. So I decided to drive down to his house and drop off our rent. I googlemapped directions and I assumed that I was to take Boulevard across the river and get to the southside (sorry if you aren't from Richmond and have NO idea what I am talking about). So I cross the river, and long story short, I end up driving for about an hour on some really sketchy streets (47th wasn't exactly 'safe') I went all the way down to Hull St (by the one and only duck pin bowling place in Richmond), onto Chippenham Parkway, twice, and eventually decided to go back to my house and check the directions. It turned out that I wasn't supposed to cross the river and his house is a mere 10 minutes away basically across the street from Maymont. Yikes.

2. I have found a new show I love to watch. Scrubs. The show has an amazing amount of one-liners and Zach Braff is really awesome in this show. It comes on Tuesday nights on NBC at 9 o'clock and 9:30. I highly suggest it. And speaking of NBC, I hear that it is in 4th place, with Conan leading the "Strive for 5" campaign so that it actually falls under the WB so it will be the 5th "best" network. I have found myself watching more NBC than other stations however. I guess that is because Conan and Scrubs is on it and those are 2 shows I try to watch regularly. Grey's Anatomy is another show I watch on a regular basis... that's on ABC though, so maybe my theory is shot. But those are the only shows I really look forward to.

Ok, a 3rd story. And I might get political. I watched the State of the Union address the other night. As many of you know I am not really into the whole political thing. I think its mostly my disillusionment with the political system and I really can't stand the partisanship that exists. This was highly evident in the President Bush's address with the whole clapping/standing thing. I can't say that I have ever really liked Bush, but I have to say on Tuesday he said a couple things that I actually agreed with, that being the need for some sort of reform for the healthcare system and the need to pursue other forms of energy while getting out of the middle east for oil. One thing I don't get, however, is the fact that congress just passed a bill to reduce healthcare spending by $39 billion, where the passage was highly partisan and with the republicans holding the majority the bill actually passed. I understand that Bush wants to keep the tax cuts permanent and he needs to reduce the deficit (which I believe to be a bit of an oxy-moron) and he apparently wants to do this by cutting healthcare spending, when he explicitly said he wants to help the healthcare spending. Maybe I am confused and if so, I don't care to be corrected, feel free. I just feel his words aren't being supported by the actions of the congress that is supposedly supporting him.

Bush also mentioned putting limits on medical liability; I concur. I am entering the profession and this is something that I think is very important if America wants to keep healthcare and not drive every doctor out of business.

Truth be told, I dozed off during the terror part of his speech (ie: the first half). So I don't know much about that.

I also watched the democratic response, and I have to say the governor of the great state of Virginia (Kaine) looked pretty much like a stiff. My biggest complaint of his speech is that he was accusing Bush about energy stuff, saying that we need to stop relying on the middle east. Didn't Bush say that in his speech? Again, maybe I am confused.

All told, Tuesday night showed me again why my main interest does not lie in politics. I feel it is a battle of rhetoric, where each side needs to be walking a fine line so as to not piss the other side off, but they still manage to do so because everyone feels such at odds with everything. You either love or hate either side (or in my case, I am indifferent).

Ok, I am done with political stuff. I can't talk about it anymore because it makes my head hurt. And I think I am done for now.

Here's to another day of waiting patiently by the phone at work for one of my roommates to call and let me know if the WVU mailed me a letter. hooray.

still waiting,
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home