Waiting around

Monday, February 20, 2006

Snow

Today is one of the days that I volunteer at Crossover - I do this every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings for those of you who have forgotten... It is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons and all day Thursday and Friday that I work at the OB/GYN office.

I woke up at 730 as normal for today; I was especially groggy as I didn't even get home until 1AM and fell asleep at 2. I hopped in the shower thinking that I wanted to be back in bed. After the shower I came back to my room and turned on the TV in hopes of finding some Olympic coverage as I got ready for the morning. At the bottom of the screen, there were weather delays with some of the county schools around the area closed, and most of them opening 2 hours late. I opened my shade and found the ground completely covered in snow. As I watched the Today show (no Olympics were on and I really wanted to see the weather) the coverage switched to the Local channels. The first report was obviously the snow and I know Richmond goes crazy when it snows, but today was ridiculous. They said there were about 5 accidents on 95 between here and Ashland (basically where the OB/GYN office is) and there were also sixty (60!) accidents between here and Virginia Beach on 64 (which is a 100 mile stretch). And then that doesn't even include all the other accidents around town.

Well I didn't think much of this, and thought since this Crossover is a doctor's office, it would pretty hard pressed to close. So I eventually make my way down to the clinic only to find out that it isn't opening until 10AM... which would mean I would be there for an hour (I am not going back). It was pretty annoying to find that out when I got there, as opposed to finding out before I showered or even before I left. And see the thing is, the roads I drove on were absolutely fine. I saw a little bit of slush on one of the side roads, but otherwise they were just wet. I mean I guess I am happy I can just sit around this morning, but I'd rather never have woken up.

I simply can't believe how much this city freaks out when it snows. Wow.

1 Comments:

  • Well I remember Richmond would do the same thing when it rained. It rains so frequently in Houston (where I grew up) that it is like second nature to me. I couldn't belive that people would stay in for a little H20!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home