Waiting around

Saturday, March 04, 2006

On waiting

Spring Break started yesterday. Well, it started for essentially everyone else. I am in the working world, meaning I don't have Spring Break. Thinking about this, it surprises me that for the last 19 years in my life, I have had at least a week in March where I don't need to do anything. Typically I spent that week on the beach in Florida, though there a few years where I changed things up and went to China (junior year in high school), North Carolina (junior year college), and Italy (senior year college). I know that if I get into medical school, I would have 2 more spring breaks, but after my second year, my longest break will be a few hours until I am out of my residency.

Speaking of medical school, I haven't updated recently because there has been nothing to update. Right now I am sitting at the end of the long wait as I anticipate interviews or rejections. This period started back in August when I submitted my secondary applications, so that means over 6 months have passed while I have been waiting to hear from a number of medical schools. Let's see what has happened in the intervening 6 months: I moved to Richmond, 2 catastophic hurricanes, I have had 2 different jobs (3 if you include my volunteer work), a world series, the entire football season, the Superbowl, the Olympics, 1/2 a basketball and hockey season, I have been picked up by a guy, Duke basketball has lost twice (Maryland has lost 11), Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas, New Years and so many more events. So through each of these activities, there has been this cloud hanging over my head with the inevitable question "What are you doing right now?" which is asked of me whenever I run into someone I haven't seen in awhile. At least now I work in an Ob/Gyn office which always makes for a laugh and a definite conversation starter; when I am talking to a girl who goes to the office I work at, the conversation always goes from a laugh to an awkward silence until I point out that I do not actually enter the exam room.

At this point, I have been numbed to the fact that I need to continue this waiting game. Yes, I'll admit that every now and then I get down on this issue and really wish that I hadn't put myself through this for a 3rd year in a row. When I really think about it, it's hard to imagine that at about this time every year for the past 3 there comes this ultimate question of "What's next?" and every year I haven't had an answer. Two years ago I was still at Richmond and was holding onto 1 waitlist and wasn't accepted to Georgetown's program until the end of April. Last year at this time I was holding onto 4 waitlists, and eventually made the decision to move to Richmond in August to begin the adventure, again. And right now I sit here on 2 waitlists not knowing what my future brings. While this seems somewhat exciting that I get to go where the wind takes me, there is also a certain desire to take my life off of "Hold" and settle down (we aren't talking marraige here, don't worry).

So that's where I am right now. It's why I haven't posted a ton because I am sick of the waiting game, but at the same time that is one of the main reasons I have this blog, to show the pains of the application process of an average medical student applicant. People have told me this process isn't always fair, and while I can take some solace in this, it's hard to hear, probably because I am on the short end of the stick, and have been for 3 years in a row.

A good thing to see is that college lacrosse is being televised on ESPN-U. Right now I am watching Hopkins-Princeton. This is a huge matchup early in the season (Hopkins is 4th and Princeton 7th). Hopkins last loss at home was in 2001 to UVa and with 24 seconds left in the 4th down by 2 goals, they look to lose here. (I'm waiting for this game to finish before I say something...). Princeton's defense was strong enough to hold off. It was a pretty low scoring affair - Princeton 6, JHU 4.

Well that's about it.

still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • Hey Wait, try to stay positive. This year has got to be your year. I have a good feeling about you, especially WVU. Things will start moving in the next few months, and you just might find yourself with a decision to make about which school you should choose. There may be no news for awhile, but I have high hopes for you and can't wait for a triumphant post.

    By Blogger MustangSally, at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home