Waiting around

Saturday, April 01, 2006

10K and WVU

Before noon today, yes a Saturday, 2 things had happened. I guess what makes this weirder is the last 2 Saturdays I have woken up at 11:45 and didn't get out of bed until after noon. Anyways, 1 is that I ran the Monument Ave 10k here in Richmond and 2 is I received another letter from WVU regarding my waitlist status.

First, the 10k. I've run this race now 5 years in a row, and with regard to my previous post, my time did fall even further. The actual race results aren't posted yet, but according to my watch, I ran it in 58:10, which over 2 minutes slower than last year. That works out to be 9:23 mile pace. I am not too pleased with that, especially considering I know that I can do better. I guess overall I should be rather happy with it because I really didn't do any running leading up to the race, except a run every now and then. The race is a pretty fun race -- there were over 20,000 runners and people along the whole way cheering you along. It's basically and out and back run up Monument Ave, which is a street here in Richmond lined with southern Civil War heroes and Arthur Ashe. (Was tennis even a sport during the 1860's?)

My goal next year is to race it again -- and to actually head back into the 40's. Knocking over 8 minutes off a 10k time would be pretty sweet and if I get into medical school, I will be running more as a stress relief.

On arriving home, the mailman was walking around with our mail (delivering it, not just walking around aimlessly) and he dropped off a letter from WVU School of Medicine. This letter informed me that I am in a small group that is on the waitlist. The letter told me to contact them as well, and that there is a possibility that I can be taken off the waitlist anytime between now and when orientation starts in August. So this adds another dimension to this process by being in yet another small group that could possibly be accepted anytime betweeen now and orientation. Of course to add yet another dimension, I am still waiting to hear word from Penn State. The next few weeks will probably be pretty huge.

I am real tired now from the race, and Saturday is my day for sleeping in and since I didn't change my alarm from yesterday morning (6:50) it is obvious I haven't gotten the sleep that I need. Tonight is the semifinals for the tourney... I am rooting hardcore for GMU... there were a bunch of people at the race today who had GMU shirts on, and I would yell to them and they would get a huge smile on there face and yell back PATRIOTS!

I just need to get some sleep before I can muster the energy to go out watch the game.

still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • Yay for waitlists! I was so excited when I came on here tonight and saw your new posts, I hope the good news comes quickly, I can't wait to hear how excited you will be once that acceptance finally comes.

    By Blogger MustangSally, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home