Waiting around

Friday, March 31, 2006

It's not official... but it's close

So the letter that I got yesterday from GW informed me that I need to contact either the dean of admissions or director of admissions to inform them whether or not I was still interested in the program. As I have been emailing the dean of admissions on a somewhat regular basis, part of me wanted to speak with her directly, but either way it truly did not matter.

I called the office up and told them that I received the alternate update letter yesterday and wanted to speak with either the dean or director as that is what the letter requested. After I was put on hold for a couple minutes, the person who originally answered my call got on the line and said the dean was out of the office, but I would speak to the director. She picked up the phone and I informed her of who I was and why I was calling. She asks in a somewhat joking voice "Well are you still interested?" I of course said yes and went on to say that I have been in touch with the dean so she is definitely aware of where I stand. The director then explains that her office is right next door and that she is very well aware of my stance and how I have shown great interest in the school. She was so easy to talk to and I could definitely tell she was smiling the whole time we were on the phone. She told me a little bit about a timeline of where we are going from here, and how I am in a very small group at the top of the alternate pool. She did say (for those of you SDN'ers reading this) other than this top group, the list is NOT, repeat NOT, ranked. She also said that the people in the top group will be the first group that they go to when, not if, they go to waitlist. (She literally said "when, not if").

Being the person I am, I then said "I know I probably shouldn't/can't ask this question, but is there any way you can say what my chances will be?" To which she replied that there is no way she can say anything about a decision, but that I should think about it, and infer some information both from the phone call and letter I received yesterday.

Therefore, nothing is official. And while I am extremely pleased at the prospects that are set in front of me, I cannot be overly excited quite yet. (Though I did ride home with windows open, music blaring and a huge smile on my face, which is somewhat coincidental since I did the same thing when I was upset about finding out about the alternate list)

It will probably be a a few more weeks before I find out anything official, but I am smiling. :)

My Friday only seemed to get better as it went on, as my mom called me this afternoon at work to find out what had happened, and ALSO to tell me that she went to her doctor today and the doctor took her off her medicine for cancer as it has officially been 5 years. For those you unfamiliar, if you make it to the 5 year mark of having cancer, you are at no more risk than any other person to get cancer. So it is a HUGE thing to make it here.

All in all, a pretty good way to finish up March. Hopefully the dean doesn't call me tomorrow and say April fool's!!!! (ha. ha. Now that would NOT be funny)

still waiting,
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home