Waiting around

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Golf, Memorial, Baseball, and Easter

As I said last week, I headed home this weekend and the weekend turned into something where I didn't really stop running from the time I got home. Ian and I left work a little early (3) and headed up good ole 95 towards Baltimore. The drive went really well until the DC beltway. Then it took us 1.5 hours to go 5 miles on the beltway. We ended up not getting to Baltimore until a little after 7, and we headed to a lit driving range because we needed to do something after spending over 4 hours in the car. Amazingly, I was hitting the ball really well, and had more good shots than bad ones (which is a rarity). We then went and saw an amazing movie - Thank you for Smoking. I completely suggest this movie if you are even thinking about it. I thought it was superbly done, and definitely shows how if the right spin is put on it, anything is believable.

Saturday morning I headed to the memorial service for Mr. Seigman. Admittedly, this was a lot harder than expected. About 7 people talked during the service, and all but two were obviously choked up in what they had to say. It was no more than 2 weeks ago that Mr. Seigman was walking the halls of McDonogh laughing and joking, and now that is his eternal resting place (not the halls, but the columbarium on campus). Definitely a moving morning - I'm still not sure I believe that he is gone. As I was leaving, I walked up to his classroom and while things have changed in the 7 years since I graced his classroom with my presence, not much has changed and I still felt his presence.

To let out some frustration I headed back to the driving range and got some more good hits out. After that it was off to Camden Yards to watch a pretty good game between the Orioles and Angels. Eric Bedard is going to be something truly magical if he can stay healthy. I believed in him a lot last year as his ERA for the first month and a half was hovering around 2, but then he got injured and the Orioles started their slide down after he went on the DL. Overall though, the game went really well, and of course that is probably because the Orioles won.

Ian and I went to church this morning and we were really surprised at going in there as they were taking tickets. Tickets to church. And we didn't have them. The guy was nice enough to let us in - but I was thinking about it today - what if he hadn't? Would they really turn someone away from going to church? Ok ok, I understand the need to have some sort of crowd control on Easter sunday - there are lots of people who go to church on Christmas and Easter, and every church only has so many seats. And considering the church already has enough people to seat 5 services on a weekend, the extra people showing up on Easter may cause some sort of unmanageable influx, but is it really necessary to have tickets to attend church? Isn't there a better way than this? I'm not upset at this, it just raised a few questions.

We then headed off to a gathering of my extended family (parents in florida) and I got to see my sister, all the cousins, second cousins (I think thats what they are to me... my cousins kids) aunts, uncles and my grandmother. There is never a dull moment when we get together and today was no different. Finally, after a mere 2 hours and 20 minutes in the car, we made it back to Richmond.

So there's the play by play of the weekend. In case you wanted to know.

still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • Tickets at church? That has to be very wrong.

    By Blogger sam, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home