Waiting around

Monday, May 01, 2006

Questions

True to what I have said before, the process of applying to medical school goes through an ebb and flow process. While it had been a few days since I heard anything from schools until Saturday, there has now been 2 days (days where we receive mail at least) where I have heard news medical schools. Unfortunately the news is no different than what I heard on Saturday; this time the rejection comes from Jefferson in Philadelphia.

I moved the post-it notes on my wall tonight and realized I really only have 3 schools left to hear anything from - those being Drexel, MD and NYMC. And while I know I won't hear anything positive from these schools, a true feeling of nervousness set it in tonight - as I have said in the past, waitlists have never been positive for me, and by this point, I am not expecting anything better than a waitlist from Penn State. So that feeling of "oh crap" is starting to set in. And that scares me... a lot. Do I do this whole thing again? Do I put myself through this process again? If I do, what do I do for the next 12 months? People have started asking me the "What if..." questions and I haven't answered yet because I don't know. I don't know what I am going to do. I don't know if I am going to apply again. I don't know where I want to go. I don't know what to do with my life. For 5 years now I have had my eyes set on this goal, can I just give it up? Can I see myself doing something else?

These are some questions I think I need to start considering over the next few weeks. AMCAS 2007 opens up tomorrow meaning I can start filling out the application to medical school for a 4th year in a row, but am I truly ready for that?

As in the past, I don't like to end on such downer points, so here's another joke. An older businessman from Florida is in New York City on a business trip in the middle of a snowstorm in February. The man is walking on the sidwalk and slips on some ice and ends up breaking his hip. He obviously goes to the hospital and finds out he needs surgery to get it fixed and needs a screw placed in his hip to help it out. Shortly after the surgery, the businessman is back to normal and he gets a bill for $5,000 for his surgery. Enraged, the business man writes to the doctor asking for an itemized bill claiming he could have gone to the store and bought a screw for $1. The doctor writes back to the businessman with an itemized bill: 1. Screw: $1; 2. Knowing how to put the screw in: $4,999. Total: $5,000.

still waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I'm getting ready to apply for the third time and I have a lot of the same fears. What do I do if I don't get in this year either? How do I answer peoples' questions when they ask me where I'm going to med school? Is it stupid to put all this time and money into this process when there are no guarantees?

    Have you thought about applying Early Decision? It has its disadvantages but if you pick a school that seems interested in you then they might just surprise you. Then again, if they don't accept you you're very late in the game for applying regular decision.

    I don't know what to say to make you feel better or help you arrive at a decision. But I hope you find some happy medium and can go on from here.

    Hopefully one of your waitlists wil work out for you in the next few weeks and this will all be for naught.

    By Blogger MustangSally, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home