Waiting around

Monday, May 22, 2006

Details, part 2

So apparently "tomorrow" means the day after next. Well all 8 of you reading didn't die while waiting for part 2, so heeeeeeeeeere we go.

Like I said previously, I hadn't told my parents about my getting into medical school. And part of me wanted to tell them in person so I could see their reactions. Maybe that was selfish of me, but after actually seeing their reactions, I was pretty happy I did. On Thursday afternoon I started looking for plane tickets for me to fly down Saturday -- but when they all cost a lot of money, I decided that I needed to do something drastic.

I called my dad. I called him and gave him a bit of a sob story saying I hadn't been down there to see them in awhile, and wouldn't it be a great idea for me to come down to surprise my mom for Mother's day. After a little bit of thought, he decided that to be a really good idea, and, more importantly, decided he would pay for my ticket down to Florida. SCORE. I finally had a way to Florida without either of them know I had actually gotten into school.

During the excitement of my getting into medical school and making this plane ticket, I did the unthinkable. I had decided that flying out of DC was the cheaper way to go -- and I decided the even better option would be to fly out of National Airport (aka Reagan) and then fly into Dulles. When I realized my stupidity, I almost wanted to kick myself. Luckily I refrained otherwise, I could have probably hurt myself pretty badly.

So after doing Race for the Cure Saturday morning (race fee paid for by work... one good thing about working for a women's center), I drove up to DC and met Erin at Dulles airport, so I could leave my car there. Erin was also nice enough to pick up a couple T-Shirts that said GW Medicine that I could give to my parents so I also got them from her at that time. After making our way to National, I flew to Florida to surprise my parents.

I walked into our house at around 11, and in all the commotion of me coming in, my mom awoke from her half sleeping state on the couch, calling out to my dad asking if everything was ok. I walk into the living room and simply say "Yeah, everything is fine" My mom completely flipped out as she was obviously not expecting to see me. I just gave her a big hug and said happy Mother's Day! Keep in mind, I have yet to tell them that I actually got into school. We sit around and talk for about an hour, with my mom asking questions about what I am doing for the rest of the summer, and when I am going to be moving out of Richmond, and what I am going to do if I end up not getting into medical school. My dad also said he talked to my uncle and from what my dad said, I had almost thought that my uncle had spilled the beans (my uncle knew on Thursday), but I couldn't ask questions, otherwise I would have given it away. It took all that I could to not say anything, and after about an hour my mom decides that she needs to go to bed which was a HUGE relief. After she went to sleep, I wasn't far behind, but I needed to wrap the T-shirts so that I could give them to my mom at breakfast the following morning. As I searched the house up and down, my dad was a little curious as to what I was doing, and when I told him I was looking for wrapping paper for my Mother's Day present, he tried to convince me to wait until tomorrow. I emphatically said "NO. I need to do this tonight." I am sure that confused him some, but I didn't care.

I woke up the next morning, and we made our way to Lago Mar (beach club we belong to) for the all you can eat breakfast buffet. I managed to walk into the place with the present and my mom didn't notice. But let's be honest, if you know my mom, that really isn't that hard of a task. We sat down to breakfast, ordered our juices and coffees and what not, and got settled at the table. I then told my mom that I have my Mother's Day present for her, and I handed the package across the table to her. She says something to the effect of "Oh no, you didn't need to get me anything, just your coming down was plenty!" Little did she know, the REAL reason I was coming down was the fact that I was telling them that I got into school. So my mom undoes the ribbon (I went all out) and then unwraps the present and saw soemthing navy. She starts to unfurl the T-shirts and reads with some trepidation GW Medicine. She then looks at me and asks "Isn't this a little early?" I just look at her and watch as the wheels spin faster and faster in her head, and she bursts out "YOU GOT IN?!?!" I simply smiled and did a slight nod of the head. Meanwhile, my dad sitting next to me had read the T-shirt as my mom was unfurling it, looked over at me with a huge smile and says congratulations. I then get big hugs from both of my parents, and I could tell that my mom was simply ecstatic.

For a pictorial view of this occurence, take a look:


The sequence of pictures is probably pretty obvious -- the last one is my parents and I outside the bar at the beach at around 3 in the afternoon. There was obvious reason to celebrate - and it really was great to have a pina colada (with a topper) while sitting in a hammock under a palm tree. The first 3 pictures are a little dark, but hopefully you can see my mom's reactions.

One of the great things was that after I told my parents, my mom started listing off the people I needed to call. And after all the people she listed off, I told her that they already know. She then was surprised to know that she was one of the last people to actually know about school. So the whole surprise worked out really really well. Aaaand I got to have a nice little break in Florida as I didn't make it back to Richmond until late Tuesday night (after flying into Dulles of course). On my last night in Florida, my mom had gotten me yellow and navy balloons with a huge one that sung out the song "Celebration" when you tapped it. Which was great and all... yet it got a little annoying after awhile. All in all it was a great few days down in Florida. One thing that sucked was that I had to fly back through Detroit. Oh well.

Alright, well that's enough for now. I will probably write more tomorrow... Not so much on how exactly it happened, but more about the feelings behind the whole thing (read: more introspective post).

still waiting,
-wait

2 Comments:

  • first, I had some little tears reading that. :) I am so happy that you finally got into Med School. You deserve it. I've been secretly reading your blog... its Lauren9Soccer (or Lauren Alberts) from Richmond. So glad to see you are doing well... good luck honey!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

  • Congrats, classmate! We're on Google Groups 2010 together and it's so cool to read your acceptance blog. Mine is similar, minus the surprise trip to visit the 'rents. That is so cool!

    This weekend I came down to Virginia for the first visit since my GWU acceptance and there has been much rejoice. Tonight, at the dinner table I sighed with a huge smile of relief, when I said, "I am soooooo glad I am not applying again this year"!

    Way to go!!

    To both of us. :)

    By Blogger miss akay, at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home