Waiting around

Monday, July 17, 2006

Passport extravaganza

So I'm an idiot, plain and simple. I drove up from Richmond this afternoon because I have to get some things done in Baltimore before I go to Germany on Tuesday. I am sitting at dinner with my family (our second family dinner since Christmas) and my sister joking says "You remembered your passport, right?"

My face turned white. The last thing I wanted to do was get back in the car, drive 2 1/2 - 3 hours, pick up my passport and turn back around and get back to Baltimore. I quickly weighed my options. If worse came to worse, I would have driven back and forth from Richmond. Luckily for me, however, Ian was home this weekend and I thought he might be able to help me out. I first thought that maybe he could overnight my passport to me. The postal service has those "Gauranteed by 10 or it's free" things. Viable option maybe. However, the whole "or it's free" thing scared me somewhat. Had I in actuality received my package for free, that means I would not have the opportunity to board my plane to Germany, and therefore would have completely missed my vacation. So I decided that having my passport at the whim of the postal service wasn't exactly the best idea.

Another option would be for Ian and I to meet halfway in between Richmond and Baltimore. This idea seemed very plausible, however inconvenient for Ian it may have been. So I called Ian and told him about "situation" (read: how dumb I am). I offered to drive to Fredericksburg... for those of you unfamiliar with the area, Fredericksburg is probably about halfway in between DC and Richmond... I offered thinking that even if I only had to drive to Fredericksburg, that wasn't nearly as bad as getting all the way to Richmond.

As I talked to Ian, he came through like a champion. He said that he has some friends in DC that he could stay with for a night, and that why doesn't he drive to DC and we meet there instead? Thrilled at the prospect of only being in the car for 2 hours instead of the complete 6, I said that was an incredible idea and that I was thankful. Hopping in the car at about 10 o'clock, I made the round trip to Alexandria (over the now open new Woodrow Wilson Bridge) and drove the last 30 minutes with the windows down and U2 cranked.

I hope that you all enjoyed my venture this evening and realized there are some people out there dumber than you. (Who forgets their passport when going abroad???)

still waiting,
-wait

Oh, and as an FYI. I will do my best to make another post tomorrow night about Mike's wedding (which was sweet) but if I don't get around to it, that means you won't hear from me for about a week and a half since I will be in Germany (passport and all). Tchuess!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home