Waiting around

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Laguna Beach, Espanol, Zoolander

I have finally started doing things. Last night was my first night at Topeka's Steakhouse. I was essentially just thrown in to see how I could handle it. My manager made me aware of the numbering scheme, and then dropped me off at the host stand, and said "Have Fun". So after a little apprehension (I have never hosted before) I caught the swing of it, and started seating people. It was a little weird as the other 2 hostesses were 15 and 17, and at one point I found myself talking about Monday night's episode of Laguna Beach with the 15 year old, while filling in the 17 year old on the most recent happenings between Jason, Jessica and Alex. I then laughed at myself because I thought about Ian, Mike and I watching Laguna (we are 22, 24, and 23) and then I was talking about it with someone who is a sophomore in high school.

The night was pretty easy. They kept saying how it wasn't that busy, but the amount of people they had was about as busy as it got on Friday nights when I worked at Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant. So it seems like I will be making some more money than the summer at Chi Chi's. Which is good.

I also went in this morning for my "interview" at CrossOver Clinic. Again, the quotes are there because it was a formality as she asked what is the most that I could work because they need all the help they can get. It seems like a pretty incredible place, giving healthcare to the uninsured. I am in the middle of Mountains Beyond Mountains and I can't help but think about Paul Farmer on the central plateau of Haiti helping not only the uninsured, but the people who maybe have never seen a doctor before. I know the central plateau of Haiti and inner-city Richmond are 2 COMPLETELY different places, but I felt the parallels that can be drawn are intruiging.

I start work there on Monday at 8 in the morning. I will be there Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings from 8-12:30. I am really excited about this, and I know it will be hard at times, but I feel like this experience is really going to do something to me. One thing I am a little iffy about is that Wednesday is OB day. This is one field I really don't want to enter. So that will be... exciting.

Also, as a benefit (I guess you can call it that) the clinic is teaching a spanish class, which sort of started last week, but doesn't really start until this week. So I get to learn spanish as well. I am excited about that as well, because that is something that I have wanted to pick up.

I'm also trying to come up with a way to end my posts. Some sort of saying that kinda signs me off... Like Walter Cronkite - "And that's the way it is". Ian might shoot me for the Walter Cronkite reference as when we were at Rachels the other night, we played Cranium, and I couldn't guess Walter Cronkite after the reference to Zoolander ("You think you're too cool for school, but newsflash _____________... you aren't"). And to think, I actually won the walk-off when we went to Camp Varsity with UVa my senior year. Curses. I think I need to go hang my head in shame.

Alright, well I guess I should eat some lunch. My eating schedule is really being thrown by working through dinner. I guess I will work something out.

-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home