Waiting around

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Speechless

To begin, I must inform you that this post has nothing to do with Topeka's.

My parents leave for Florida tomorrow, and because of this, they decided too pay me a visit down in Richmond before they headed off. They brought with them a couple things... like my jackets (it's getting cold) and the mail that has come to me at my house. Among the postal items I received was the November issue of Outside magazine.Also mixed in the grabbag of posted items were offers for credit cards, some Nivea Facial Cleanser, that I apparently requested, and, the main reason for this entry, a letter from the Eastern Virginia Medical School (henceforth known as EVMS)

For a little background, EVMS is a school that I have really grown to love. You may have never heard of it (or maybe you have) but of the 4 schools I visited last year, the students there were the happiest I met, and it is only 20 minutes from the beach! The board scores are pretty decent as well; they may not put 1/2 the class into a derm residency, but there is something to be said for a school that rents out an entire hotel so the entire school (MS1-4's) can hang out together for a weekend. So for the past 2 years, I was put on their waiting list, and much to my dismay, I was never taken off the waitlist, which is probably quite obvious as my posting about my applying to medical school for a 3rd time.

I knew that a letter from EVMS was coming, as my dad had called me yesterday saying there was a letter for me. I had kind of talked myself into believing that they switched from email to regular mail to announce interviews, which makes no sense whatsoever, but how could I be rejected without even an interview? Here is the text of this "magnificent" rejection letter:

"Dear Mr. Xxxxxx,
Your application to the entering class of 2006 at EVMS has been reviewed. Unfortunately, we are unable to grant you an acceptance to the Entering Class of 2006 at the Eastern Virginia Medical School.

We regret that all interested applicants cannot be accepted, but wish you much success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
[I'll leave his name out]"

Wow. WOW. Maybe I am still in shock, maybe not. But either way, I cannot honestly believe 2 things. 1: That I got this letter. 2: That they can be so cursory. 3 sentences. And somehow, I really don't believe that line about them wishing me success in my future endeavors. I poured my heart out to them last year. I sent them letters almost biweekly, I drove down there to meet with the dean over 4th of July. I really loved this school, and there is something that makes me feel so horrible about the situation. Part of me thinks that there is nothing I can do "Really, what's the point, they interviewed me twice and didn't accept me twice." I don't know, it just makes me feel pretty horrible.

Is there ever a point where I should stop waiting for this to happen? I have been driven for 3 years in my attempts to get into medical school, and yeah, I know it is still early in this cycle, but I haven't heard much yet, and what I have heard hasn't been good. It just sucks.

still waiting (?)
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home