Waiting around

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Straightened Out

Sorry for the pun, but I thought it was funny and aprapos.

The anticipation for this post has been overwhelming as within 12 hours of my putting it in my profile, no less than 3 of you have requested more information as the excitement brews.

To begin, if you have not read the previous posts about David Carter, please do so now. It will only make this post that much better.

David Carter came back to work this week after his two weeks in New Orleans. On his first night back, he had pictures of the destruction, and it still amazes me. Seeing these pictures, along with Christine's, really sheds light on the magnitude of devastation seen in the aftermath of Katrina. According to my parents, Wilma was no slouch either, despite the non-coverage in the media. Power was just restored to my parents house on Thursday afternoon - taking 2 weeks to recover. The cell phone towers are down as well, so I really have no way to contact my parents unless they call me.

Alright, alright, back to what you came here for. I had a civil conversation with Carter on Thursday night, and he told me how hard it was, and how after the 3rd day, he really was questioning whether or not he could make it... yadda yadda. So then I show up to work yesterday (Saturday) and he is working there. He is starting to be more friendly to me, which is ok I guess, but still weirds me out. Then the line is crossed. I would be standing up at the computer entering in people's orders and he would walk by (on purpose?) and kind of touch me on my side or my back. Side note, the girls at work do the same thing, but I feel this is somewhat different (and by somewhat I mean a lot). First off it is a gay man, second off with our "history" it just makes it that much weirder.

I then decide to tell Michael (my manager), and he asks me if I want him to say anything to Carter. I say yes because it is just getting weird. So then like an hour later Michael calls me into the office and I see the other manger (Debbie) and the GM (Dave... not the same guy). They ask me to close the door (which is HUGE) to ask me a few questions, and try to decide what path to take. They asked if I would feel comfortable talking to David myself to see if I can get things to calm down. I told them I thought that I had made it pretty clear, both through words and actions, and I proceeded to tell them the entire story of the fateful night. Since none of them had actually heard the whole story, they were a bit surprised on some of the details (which I have purposely left out in my blog - again sorry, I can't disclose everything). My GM then says that he will take care of it as it is quite obvious I have made the effort. I then leave the office, and Michael calls for another waitress to watch over Carter's tables for a few minutes, then asked Carter to come into the office.

While Carter was doing a couple things, I went back to the office to the group of three and closed to door. I informed them of my intentions to be leaving soon as I am not making as much money as I had hoped. My managers are really nice so it was a little hard for me to say this, but I went ahead with it, and continued on to explain that I wanted to tell them before they talked to Carter so that if they didn't want to pursue this, that I was leaving and I would be able to put up with it for 2 weeks. My manager then explains to me that it really doesnt matter if I am staying or not, because it needs to be addressed because it could happen again, if it hasn't happened before. The GM then told me that I shouldn't look at it as a closure to my Topeka's experience and I should leave my foot in the door, and maybe pick up a few shifts here and there. He said that he thinks I am good guy, and wouldn't want to lose me (but I think it's because they don't want to lose anyone since the turnover is so high there -- there are lots of people getting ready to quit).

After this conversation - where I essentially told them I am done - Carter was eventually called in and they had a 10 minute conversation. 10 minutes is an eternity in restaurant time - think if you are at a restaurant and you don't your waiter for 10 minutes. Thats awhile. For the rest of the afternoon, Carter didn't even look at me. He would walk by and look the other direction. If I was talking to someone, he wouldn't even respond to the person I was talking to. Meanwhile, everyone else was wondering why I got pulled in the office - cause usually that means you got in trouble. So I had to go through the story like 20 more times yesterday. Which is fun and all, but gets old, especially considering how long this story is.

So the long and short of it: I got David Carter in trouble, and I told them I am quitting. Vis-a-vis - everything is straightened out.

I must say that everytime I mention "Carter" I think of Carter from last year at Georgetown. So I apologize to all the Physios out there who are probably thinking the same thing.

As for the medical school front, I was rejected from Boston University on Friday. It come through email, and that really sucked. The email came at about 4 oclock, and I decided that there was no time like the present to start my night and I cracked a beer. That began quite a long night (I was up til 3) to kick off Homecoming, where I went to the cellar and then downtown to Richbrau and saw so many people with the most surprising being Chris Zuk. He moved to London this summer and I didn't think I was going to see him for 3 years, but he was there.

I think that's about it. I hope you have enjoyed the seemingly neverending drama that is Topeka's. Look for a post on Tuesday/Wednesday when I go back to work with Carter probably working as well. It will be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home