Waiting around

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

WVU and Wilma

(Sorry again, no Topeka's update)

I ended up throwing in an application to WVU last week on request of my mom who had talked with the Dean of Admissions there (they turned out to be friends from back in the day). I also found out that my great grandfather, my namesake, as well as his brother graduated from WVU medicine.

Apparently that connection to West Virginia University School of Medicine warrants a secondary application to the school that rejected me in under 3 weeks last year. Secondary applications are handed out to qualified West Virginia residents, and only very highly qualified non-residents along with non-residents who have a strong connection to the state. As I am not a highly touted applicant to medical school, it is clearly the connection to the school that I needed to be awarded a secondary application. Hopefully now they will come through with an interview and a subsequent acceptance.

Please hold the inbreeding jokes back (for now).

Ok ok, I will give an update on Topeka's. Pardon the pun, but the story I have finally came out at work. People are asking me about it, and wanting to know more. I think it has evolved into a legend that will live down in the lore of Topeka's Steakhouse history. I had to pick up my paycheck from the HR lady today, and had to fill out a short survey of how I felt working there. I talked to her a little bit about what happened, and she said that if anything comes up in work (haha... comes up.... sorry.) that I need to let her know. She says she knows the guy pretty well and would be surprised if anything were to happen. He is on his "Pastoral Counseling" trip to New Orleans for about another week, so I have one week left of freedom (well from him).

Wilma ripped through the state of Florida (just in case you don't follow the news). A lot of the destruction occured in Broward County, which is where my parents live for 9 months out of the year. The mayor said the amount of damage hasn't been seen in over 50 years. My parents stuck out the storm in Orlando as they were on the way down when the storm developed. It's been reported (from neighbors who stuck around) that we lost our screened-in porch, and that the hurricane shutters were ripped off of our neighbors house, breaking windows and flooding their bedroom. They are now staying in our house, without power and electricity. I guess it is better to actually have 4 walls with intact windows and a roof. Pending the power recovery, my parents remain in limbo -- they are deciding whether or not to stay in the hotel in Orlando, or head back home until Ft. Lauderdale recovers some.

I also talked to Steve Saul, and he is part of the 2% that has power in South Florida. So he's going to have a "power hour party" in the near future. Clever, I think. He is fine and his building is fine.

Still waiting...
-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home