Waiting around

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Pre-interview interview for G-dub

Ok, so I said look for a post about Topeka's and David Carter on Tuesday or Wednesday. Well there's not much new there. Things are okay between us, very professional.

Buuuuuuuuut the main reason I am posting is because of medical school information. As you know (if you are keeping up with the blog) I have kepy in contact with the Dean of Admissions at GWSOM (George Washington School of Medicine). I found out (she told me) that she was giving a recruitment presentation at VCU for the undergrads on Tuesday, Nov 8th. So that morning I headed off to CrossOver in one of my new shirts that I bought from Polo when Ian and I went the other week... looking for schnazzy, if I do say so myself. I then headed off to VCU, and proceeded to park in a 30 minute spot because parking in Richmond absolutely sucks.

The dean gave her presentation and during she went around the room asking everyone's name. When I said my name, she gave me a little wave acknowledging her recognition of me. Later in the presentation, she asked if anyone was applying and again since this was a meeting for undergrads, I was the only one to raise my hand, when the dean then winked at me, which was cool because of the understanding that was there.

So there is more in our interactions besides a wave and a wink. When the presentation was over, I went up to her thanking her for presenting, and she said "Alright, so do you want to go downstairs and talk for a bit?" Ummmmmm, let me think about that. So there were the usual neurotic premeds asking insane questions, and one of them was asking questions about volunteer experiences and how she was worried about not having enough, and how when she volunteered she was changing sheets. The dean said you need to start somewhere and eventually move up. I chimed in here saying I started at CrossOver doing filing, and I have moved up in the ranks, where I am starting to follow a PA around (which is sweet because I put that together that morning). The dean said something like yeah - this is exactly what you need to do. (point for Wait!). I then proceeded to write down all my contact information and the information about the places I volunteer to give to this girl. (Point number 2 for Wait!).

So after this neurotic girl leaves (I say neurotic, but she really is a typical premed, but for those of you not involved in this, you would think she's very neurotic), the dean and I go downstairs in the VCU commons and sit and talk for 40 minutes (give or take). Just me and her. She started off the conversation saying "Well this is your time, go ahead" I wanted to be like "huuuuuuuuuuh?" (a la Steve Saul... a 2nd reference for you bud!), but I proceeded to talk about CrossOver, the hospice, and even about Topeka's and the sexual harrassment stuff going on (only touching on that, really). I asked some questions of her too, just like how she got to be dean, and about the application process, about SDN (Student Doctor Network - a message board for neurotic premeds and medical students), and other various and sundry things. She said they have over 11,000 applications this year, and they go through every single application, the AMCAS, secondary and letters of recomendation -- so for those of you out there applying, know that they are a bit slow because they look at every application very closely. So just be patient.

Her husband showed up after like 30 minutes and I met him. I stood up when he showed up, and didn't sit until he told me too. Mommy taught me well!! So at the end, she said something like well since you have my personal email, just email me if you have any questions or anything else to update. Also, email about the week before you're interview so i remember and can be sure to be there that day. That is super sweet too because it means I definetely didn't rub her the wrong way and she wants to be there the day I see visit!! I was so excited leaving there, realizing that I just spent 40 minutes with the Dean of Admissions at GW. And what made my day even better - after parking in that 30-minute spot for 2 hours, I didn't have a ticket!

So this went so well that I had a dream last night that she emailed me today saying that the interview was a mute point, and that she has preliminarily accepted me for the class of 2010. I woke up all happy, and then I got sad realizing it wasn't true. Oh well.

still (anxiously) waiting,
-wait

1 Comments:

  • I offer one word of advice:

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=moot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home