Waiting around

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Topeka's Finale and WVU

Yesterday was my last shift at Topeka's. There may be some more information to come out about the people there, but we will see as I have a couple busy weeks coming up.

Yesterday for lunch, Mike C. and Andrew stopped by for lunch, and Ian, Rachel, Saona and Kristen stopped by for dinner during my last day. That was really cool, as they finally got to see the place I work. Unfortunately for the dinner crew, their order was somehow lost, and it took over an hour to get their food. Fortunately for the dinner crew, they got 20% off their total bill. They were all a little bit upset that they did not get to see David Carter to see the guy they had heard so much about. Maybe that is good... that way he wouldn't try and pick them either. Mike and Andrew did get to meet him, however.

The dinner group was my last table at Topeka's, so at least it was nice to go out with a bang. They told me they were going bowling afterwards and that I needed to come. So after I said my goodbyes to the Topeka-folk, I ran home to quickly change so I could get to the bowling lanes (and start drinking). Now here comes the cool part (as if my last shift wasn't cool enough). I walked by the stack of mail and on top saw a letter addressed to me. It was one of the letters that is typical of the rejection letter size, so I quickly scanned to the return address to see where I had been rejected from. It was West Virginia University. Devastation set it, knowing that I had sent in my secondary application a mere 3-4 weeks ago, and they had a very quick turn around for this rejection.

I picked up the letter, and the first thing that crossed my mind was that the letter was taped shut since I felt the tape on the opposite side. Odd I thought. But then I felt the letter a little more, and realized that it was a bit heavier than a rejection letter should be. Somehow, I reasoned that maybe this is a 2 page rejection, or something like they needed more information. Opening the letter, I saw the back page first and read the words "From I-79" I quickly turned to the front page, and read that the committee on admissions is requesting my appearance for an interview. I was floored -- literally. I fell to the floor in absolute shock and amazement. I quickly read the letter and found out that I am interviewing on Dec 19th, only 2 weeks away. I called my parents, finally changed, and made my way to bowling.

Now you may be wondering why I am so surprised. This is because they interview about 2% of their out of state applicants -- they get about 1000 applications from out of staters. So I am in a select group of 20. That is pretty much why I am so surprised. I know need to figure out some crap... like where I am going to stay (maybe at the Clements), and what I am doing between 4PM the 19th (when the interview is over) and 8:30AM the 20th (when I leave for Florida from DC). There's the possibility that I need to drive from Morgantown to Richmond (6 hours) and then pack, and drive to DC (2 hours). This of course after having spent 6 hours in the car the previous day driving from Richmond to Morgantown. I need to start burning CD's now.

I am so excited right now... hopefully more excitement will be down the road where I receive another letter... the likes of which I don't even want to mention right now.

GW remains in the forefront right now as that interview is in 4 days. Speaking of 4, we are supposed to get 4-7 inches of snow tomorrow. That is really crazy for Richmond, VA... 4-7 inches of snow is crazy enough, but in December?!?! Crazy.

Alrighty... I'm off to some stuff around here to make the next couple weeks go a bit smoother.

-wait

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home